According to National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute blood pressure is the force of blood pushing against the walls of the arteries as the heart pumps blood. If this pressure rises and stays high over time, it can damage the body in many ways. High blood pressure can lead to coronary heart disease, heart failure, stroke, kidney failure and other health problems.
Sound scary is it not? A healthy diet and an active lifestyle help you to maintain a normal blood pressure. Recently researchers have found that isoflavones can help to lower the blood pressure.
Isoflavones is found in soy milk, tofu, green tea and peanuts. If you consume them on a daily basis it will be good for your blood pressure. You can very well combine these foods along with DASH diet. A DASH diet is one which is high in fruits and vegetables, low fat dairy and whole grains.
How does the isoflavones work? The isoflavones increase the production of enzymes that create nitric oxide. Nitric oxide helps to widen the blood vessels which reduce the blood pressure. Now let us see some foods which greatly reduce blood pressure.
1. Celery- contains pthalides which relaxes artery walls and reduce blood pressure.
2. Cold water fish- contains omega 3 fatty acids which is a natural blood thinner.
3. Broccoli- contains fiber, potassium, calcium and magnesium and vitamin C. All these help to reduce blood pressure.
4. Whole grains- especially oats which contains fiber and magnesium considered to be heart friendly and oats also reduce plaque buildup that occurs in blood vessels.
5. Black beans- posses’ fiber and magnesium and also folate. The specialty of folate is that it reduces systolic blood pressure.
6. Berries- Blue berries, rasp berries and straw berries help to lower blood pressure as they are packed with fiber, vitamin C and potassium.