Oregano the super herb belongs to the mint family. It holds its ancestry from the Mediterranean region and some regions of
The ancient Greeks called it the “joy of the mountains”. They believed that if
you anoint yourself with oregano you will dream about your future mate.
Ever wondered why these herbs got such a beautiful name? The flowers of oregano are pretty pink or purple in color. They might have blossomed all over the mountains and would have overlaid it with a pink and purple hue. And a small shepherd boy might have been moved by its beauty and would have called it the joy of the mountains. Who really knows?
What are the health benefits of oregano?
1. Falling back to reality with a thud, oregano is a beneficial source of fiber. It helps to lower cholesterol levels and reduces the risk of colon cancer.
2. Oregano is rich in vitamin K, vitamin C, manganese, iron and calcium.
3. It can be used to treat respiratory tract disorders, gastrointestinal disorders, menstrual cramps, urinary tract infections and headaches. That's just to name a few.
4. Oregano oil is effective against norovirus, also known as winter vomiting disease. To be specific the carvacrol present in it fights against this virus.
5. Researchers say that the pizza herb can be used to treat prostate cancer.
6. This super herb contains volatile oils such as thymol and carvacrol which inhibits the growth of bacteria. Oregano is also effective against Giardia and it works even better than prescription drugs.
7. This herb contains phytonutrients such as thymol and rosmarinic acid, which function as antioxidants. They prevent oxygen based damage to cells and keep it healthy.
A Cooking tip
Oregano can be added to pasta dishes, omelets, breads, roast potatoes, kebabs and chicken. Oregano either in its fresh form or dried should be added towards the end of cooking, because heat can destroy its delicate flavor.
A safety tip
Webmd says that it is safe to use in food quantities. But pregnant women must not use it as it might cause a miscarriage.
Time to conclude…..
This beautiful ancient herb can spice up your life both in a healthy and nutritional way. If you want to grow it in your home just watch this video. Hope it will be helpful!
Take good care,
Photos by James Barker and Artur 84